Depression is a debilitating condition that affects as many as 16.2 million Americans each year. Though often viewed as a simple bout of sadness by onlookers, those suffering from depression feel a multitude of symptoms. These range from physical symptoms such as muscle ache and fatigue to psychological symptoms such as apathy and depersonalization.
Since its classification as a disorder, depression has been treated through psychological consoling, hypnotherapy, and medication. Depression medication comes in Typical and Atypical varieties –both being the standard choices of treatment and requiring a prescription. However, with the boom of the marijuana industry, scientists have begun researching other methods of treating the disorder, namely by exploring the link between marijuana and depression.
In this article, we will discover the effect marijuana has on depression and how one can make the most of it. Keep in mind that this article should not be taken as genuine medical advice if you or someone you know is suffering from depression; be sure to consult with a physician before experimenting with possible treatment plans.
Marijuana and Depression
Does marijuana help with depression? Though the research is still in its early stages, scientists have discovered a connection between mood regulation and marijuana use. The link lies in the effect of marijuana CBD on endocannabinoids.
Endocannabinoids are chemical compounds that are naturally produced in the human body. These chemicals are responsible for motor control, cognition, emotion, and behavior. Interestingly, Endocannabinoids have a similar chemical makeup to cannabis, which explains why the herb has such a potent effect on people. Primarily, it is a strain’s CBD concentration that determines its effectiveness in treating conditions like depression.
A combination of genetic predisposition and prolonged stress causes a suppression of natural endocannabinoid function. By conducting tests on animals, scientists have discovered that the use of marijuana CBD in those with reduced endocannabinoids leads to a restoration of normal function and thus relieves depression symptoms.
Though the research is promising, the use of CBD for anxiety and depression is still a hot-button topic amongst the medical community. According to healthline.com, the potential risks associated with marijuana use for psychological disorders such as depression is the triggering of schizophrenia or psychosis in those with higher risks of developing these conditions. Further still, while marijuana use can help treat some individuals, it has been suggested that chronic use of the drug may actually lead to depression.
The relationship between the human body and the cannabis plant is complex and nuanced. While deeper exploration into the topic is required, the use of the drug for treatment has isolated a number of CBD rich cannabis strains that provide the best help to those with the proper medical approval. Keep in mind that the following list contains the general effects of each strain, individual results may vary.
Cannabis Strains for Depression
– THC: 7% – 15%, CBD: 10%
– Sativa Dominant Hybrid – 75% Sativa / 25% Indica
– Description: This mango-flavored California favorite is known to provide an exceptional level of relaxation while keeping users alert and energized. The relatively low THC concentration of the Harlequin helps maintain mindfulness while the nice balance of CBD acts as an excellent pain reliever –both physical and psychological. The calming effects of this strain make it great for combatting anxiety and depression. Possible negative side effects include; dry mouth, dry eyes, and mild nausea.
– THC: 10%, CBD: 11%
– Hybrid – 50% Sativa / 50% Indica
– Description: This popular Vancouver strain is named not for its potency, but for its powerful symptom relief. The Tsunami’s high CBD concentration makes it an excellent choice for those suffering from seizures or epilepsy. Due to its chemical makeup, this beautiful strain is an excellent choice for chronic pain, insomnia, and stress relief. It can also spur the user’s apatite. Since depression is characterized by many of the symptoms treated by the strain, it is a good choice for managing the disorder.
– THC: 1%, CBD: 20%
– Sativa Dominant Hybrid – 70% Sativa / 30% Indica
– Description: ACDC’s low THC concentration makes it excellent for those interested in avoiding marijuana’s psychoactive effects. The effects of this strain are increased focus and interest in socialization. Due to its high CBD concentration, ACDC is an exceptionally good choice for the treatment of chronic pain, anxiety, multiple sclerosis, nausea, and of course, depression.
Stephan Hawking OG
– THC: 5%, CBD 22%
– Indica Dominant Hybrid – 30% Sativa / 70% Indica
– Description: The Stephan Hawking OG is a powerful bud that boasts a super high CBD concentration, as high as 22%! The chemical makeup of the SH-OG makes it the best choice for pain and depression relief without causing the user to succumb to the paranoia or nausea typically associated with other powerful strains. The mellowing effect of this strain stops racing thoughts in their tracks and reduces mental pain before settling calmly throughout your body. The blissful effects of the Stephan Hawking OG make it an excellent anti-depression choice.
– THC: 8% – 15%, CBD: 12%
– Indica Dominant Hybrid – 70% Indica / 30% Sativa
– Description: A cross between Jack the Ripper and Harlequin, this strain is essentially for those looking for an extra CBD kick. The mild, but a clear-headed physical high of Pennywise keeps you calm without draining your energy or disrupting your concentration. The only negatives of this strain are the dry eyes and mild paranoia. Aside from that, Pennywise is a terrific choice for managing depression.
CBD for Anxiety and Depression
As previously mentioned, the research into the effects of CBD for the treatment of psychological disorders such as anxiety and depression is still in its infancy. However, with the proper medical council, patients have been shown to have reduced symptoms through CBD rich marijuana use.
For help with depression, please consult with your doctor. For help with finding a strain or dispensary near you, visit GreenMed.io. Our interactive Map and Menu systems help you research, discover, and order marijuana products from the comfort of your own home! Visit our site for more information and for further convenience, consider downloading the IOS App!
None of the authors, administrators, or anyone connected with GreenMed, in any way whatsoever, can be responsible for your use of the information within links or directly from these web pages.
Laws regarding recreational marijuana are constantly changing! Always consult your local authorities or attorney for professional advice!